|The microscope sent from London by Jacob Castro Sarmento FTS, one of the masterpieces of the Cabinet collection|
The Old Cabinet of Physics of the
Some of the instruments of the rich collection are publicly exhibited in two large rooms, which keep the original atmosphere of the Physics Cabinet, even with the original shelves, table and chairs. Indeed, One of the rooms is a true recreation of a Physics Cabinet of the second half of 18th century, where a professor of Physics Giovanni Dalla Bella (1730-1823) was teaching (he was called by the Marquis of Pombal from Padova, Italy, where he teached, together with other science professors). In the other room, instruments from the 18th century, mainly from the first quarter, complete the exhibition. The thematic areas of the instruments are mainly Newtonian mechanics; mechanics of the continua media, thermodynamics, optics and electromagnetism.
A virtual visit to the Cabinet may be done here:
Some instruments are displayed here:http://fisica.uc.pt/ax/mf/mf_all_vobjs.php~
See, e.g., http://fisica.uc.pt/ax/mf/mf_vobjs.php?qob=43
To know more see D. Martins and C. Fiolhais, “A place of pilmigrage” in Europhysics News (2003) vol. 34, n. 4, p. 154.
Carlos Fiolhais and Décio Martins